We are sure that while taking a sip of coffee you would never have thought that this beverage could be quite beneficial for your hair too. Of course, the benefits of coffee for skin have long been documented, but it’s time for you to know what it can do for your hair.
After all, who doesn’t want their hair to be strong and healthy? Especially when an intoxicating DIY coffee hair mask can help you get the hair of your dreams. If you don’t want to take our word for it, then believe what science has to say.
The benefits of using coffee for hair
The hormone DHT or dihydrotestosterone in the body weakens hair follicles, causing a decline in hair production which then leads to hair loss. However, according to the American National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), coffee directly activates cells in hair follicles by releasing ATP. ATP is a molecule that carries energies between cells. It can also combat DHT, thus reducing hair fall and making your hair stronger. But that’s not all coffee can do for your mane. Here are some other benefits of using coffee for hair:
1. It encourages hair growth and fights hair loss
According to the NCBI study, DHT makes hair follicles shrink. And since coffee can oppose this action while also stimulating hair follicles, it also promotes faster hair growth and prevents hair loss.
2. Coffee can enhance your hair texture
Coffee not only makes your hair stronger, but it also improves its quality and makes them soft and shiny. Wondering how? Well, coffee contains flavonoids that fight dullness and dryness.
3. It boosts blood circulation to the scalp
When applied to the scalp, coffee improves blood circulation. This helps to transfer nutrients to the hair roots. As a result, your hair grows faster and becomes thicker.
4. Coffee is great for detoxifying the scalp
Using coffee helps to detoxify the scalp, allowing you to deal with flakiness and dandruff while also balancing the pH level.
So, how can you use coffee for hair? Well, here’s a simple way to use coffee for your hair to get soft, smooth, and shiny results.
- Shampoo your hair like you normally would.
- Add 4 tablespoons of brewed coffee to a bowl. Now add 4 cups of boiled water (at room temperature) to it. Mix well. For extra conditioning, you can add an egg yolk. This is optional.
- Pour the coffee on your scalp and thoroughly massage it in. Using your fingers, run the mixture through the strands as well.
- Wrap your hair with a towel and leave it on for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and you’re done.
Yes, that’s how simple it is to use coffee for hair. When the benefits range from shiny hair to faster hair growth minus any side-effects, we don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t use it the next time you wash your hair.