It is a climber that resembles a woody vine and comes from China. In that country it is known as "the plant of the five flavors", since its fruits have all the possible variety of flavors: spicy, sweet, bitter, salty and acid.
- They give energy: Taking a few berries of this plant each day is believed to help increase physical and mental vitality and help fight stress. The reason is that it contains a natural adaptogenic compound, which only a few plants have in the world and one of them is schizandra.
- Thanks to this substance, this plant allows those who consume it to have the feeling of being full of energy and enjoy optimal mental performance. In fact, it is presented as a clear alternative to caffeine.
- Protects the liver: Schizandra berries can help metabolize toxins better. It can also be effective against chronic liver disorders in general, such as chronic viral hepatitis. But in that case, you should only take it if the specialist advises you and as a complement to the prescribed medical treatment.
- Improve your circulation: Traditional Chinese medicine uses this species to improve blood flow, although, thanks to its slightly sedative and antidepressant properties, it is also applied to alleviate depressive states associated with prolonged stress and mental exhaustion.
- Antioxidant: Another of its components is beta-carotene, a natural antioxidant that protects the skin against the dreaded aging. In addition, this plant has been used in oriental medicine as an enhancer of sexual desire.
- Helps in digestion: One of the most common bacteria responsible for gastrointestinal problems, Helicobater Pylori, seems not to be comfortable with this plant, so it is very effective for gastrointestinal problems.
Schizandra berries are also used to treat certain respiratory conditions, such as asthma or chronic cough, or to improve skin problems, such as hives and eczema, effects that may be related to its stimulating action on the defenses.