The humble pumpkin or kaddu is one vegetable that’s common in most Indian households. We use it often to whip up curries, soups, kebabs and even desserts. But did you know that it serves as the perfect weight-loss food? Yes ladies, it’s true!
Now we aren’t saying you have the freedom to load up on those pumpkin spice lattes or creamy pies; but if you want to melt away those kilos, make sure you include pumpkin soup and kaddu ki sabzi in your diet!
Get Your Daily Dose Of WellnessSubscribe to our Newsletter
Pumpkins are rich in nutrients, and are devoid of cholesterol, sodium and fats. This is what makes them the perfect to shed that stubborn flab. Moreover, the vegetable also helps to curb appetite, so you won’t find yourself bingeing on junk food.
Also, read: Calling all kaddu haters: These 5 health benefits of pumpkin will make you rethink your relationship with the fruit
And we have none other than Dr. Shikha Sharma, India’s top nutritionist and founder of Shikha’s NutriHealth, to share why pumpkin is a must-add to your diet! Read on to know more.
Here’s how pumpkin aids weight loss
Surprisingly, there are a host of health benefits that pumpkins have to offer:
1. Low in calories: Did you know 100 grams of raw pumpkin contains only 26 calories, as per USDA data? So you can nosh on pumpkin as much as you want without piling on the calories!
2. High in Fibre: And it’s not just about nutrients, for every 200 grams of pumpkin you eat, you get 1 gram of fibre! Fibre is critical for digestive health, which is not only good for weight loss but also curbs hunger pangs. Time to stock up your veggie basket with pumpkin.
Don’t judge pumpkin for the way it looks, revere it for its health benefits. Image courtesy: Shutterstock
3. Great post-workout food: Not many know that pumpkins are a powerhouse of potassium, making them a great post-workout food for muscle recovery. A 100 gram serving of pumpkin contains 340 mg of potassium, which is way higher than the amount present in bananas!
4. Boosts immunity: Pumpkins also contain vitamin C and beta carotene, which makes this veggie an immunity booster. Good immunity means enhanced weight loss!
5. Boosts mood and tackles stress: Pumpkins never cease to surprise us. They contain tryptophan, an amino acid that elevates your mood and at the same time, fights stress. Having a good mood is important to sustain your weight loss game!
So, try and include pumpkin in your diet and drop several sizes within no time! Sounds like an exciting plan, doesn’t it?