Beyond its use in gastronomy, this spice has been used for thousands of years for its large number of health properties, which today, with the development of pharmaceuticals, have been lost a bit.
The most obvious characteristic of cinnamon is its smell, to which relaxing properties are attributed and it is used in the cleaning and personal care industry.
The cinnamon that is used to prepare cinnamon tea is really bark and to obtain it it goes through a long process, its cultivation is carried out in the rainy season, because it is in this season when the bark is softer.Regular consumption of cinnamon along with a healthy and balanced diet could provide various health benefits such as:
- Help control diabetes by improving the use of sugar.
- Improve digestive disorders such as gas, spasmodic problems and to treat diarrhea, due to its antibacterial, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Decrease fatigue and improve mood by increasing resistance to stress.
- Help fight cholesterol due to the presence of antioxidants.
- Help in digestion, especially when mixed with honey because honey has enzymes that facilitate digestion and cinnamon has an antibacterial, antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Fight respiratory tract infections, as it has a drying effect on the mucosa and is a natural expectorant.
To obtain all these benefits of cinnamon, it is enough to consume 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder per day.
The used parts of cinnamon are its shell, found in supermarkets in the form of a cinnamon stick, and in essential oil that can be bought in natural products stores.
A popular way to reap the benefits of cinnamon is to use it as a seasoning for meats, fish, chicken, and even tofu. For this, it is enough to grind 2 units of star anise, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of coarse salt and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Store the seasoning in the fridge and it's ready to go for any occasion.
Another popular way is cinnamon tea. To prepare it, place 1 cinnamon stick in a cup of boiling water, letting it rest for 10 minutes. Then it should be consumed up to 3 cups per day, before meals.
Sprinkling 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon on fruit salad or oatmeal cereals are optimal strategies to naturally lower blood glucose, being useful for controlling diabetes and losing weight.