This delicious and very easy recipe can be done and stored for the week!
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili powder (I like Penzeys Chili 3000)
- 2 oz canned roasted green chile peppers (half a small can)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup red sofrito (available in supermarkets, in the Latino foods section)
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion, and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic, cumin, chili powder and green chile peppers, and cook for 2 minutes.
- If the rice is cold, break it up with your hands as you add it to the pot. Stir well to combine the rice and onion mixture; cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until the rice is warmed through. Add in the sofrito and black beans, and stir gently, until the sofrito is incorporated and the beans evenly distributed throughout the rice.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Taste, and add more if needed. Serve warm, or cool completely and refrigerate. You can make this up to 2 days in advance; add a few drops of water and reheat in the microwave.