In such a situation, sweet potatoes are a true saviour! The steaming delicacy, which is famous as a street snack in many parts of India, doesn’t just make for a comforting snack on a cold day, but also has multiple health benefits.
You heard it, right! Our beloved shakarkandi is a powerhouse of essential vitamins and nutrients.
Sweet potatoes are an extremely rich source of fibre that keeps your gut health in check. What’s more, a plate of sweet potatoes contains a healthy amount of complex carbohydrates, which can provide you with some instant energy, before you go for a workout.
Extremely rich in antioxidants, sweet potatoes can protect you against the action of free radicals, which are known to cause damage to your cells, thereby leading to various diseases. The high amount of beta-carotene gets converted to vitamin A, which ensures your vision stays as strong as possible.
Now, that’s all the qualities we need in a healthy snack, right?
So without further ado, let’s learn about this sweet potato wedges recipe that is easy to make at home, and will provide you with a very healthy snack option. However, the process will take 30 to 40 minutes for the sweet potatoes to get cooked, which means it isn’t an instant snack but it definitely is worth the wait.
You won’t find a better snack than the humble sweet potato. Image courtesy: Shutterstock
Here are the things you’ll need:
- 4 sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 4 tsps olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes, optional
- Salt, according to taste
Here’s how to prepare sweet potato wedges:
- Wash the sweet potatoes properly to remove any dirt. Then, chop them into wedges.
- Add olive oil, black pepper, oregano and red chilli flakes to a bowl. Mix the ingredients together. Do not add salt at this point, because it might spoil the taste of sweet potatoes.
- Add the sweet potato wedges to this bowl. Toss it properly to ensure the wedges are covered with the seasoning.
- Preheat the oven or air fryer to 200°C.
- Place the potato wedges in the oven or air fryer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once cooked fully, sprinkle some salt on the wedges. You can also squeeze some lemon juice to raise the tangy quotient.
There you go, your winter snack is ready! Enjoy the sweet potato wedges hot on a cold winter day.