This dish comes in at around 400 calories and 23 grams of fat. Reduce the cheese if you’d like to save even more calories and fat, but you know…don’t. Fat and calories are delicious.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick cooking grits found by the oatmeal in most stores
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in the grits and garlic, and cover. Continue cooking and stirring often for 5-7 minutes or until the grits have thickened.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cheddar and chives until combined. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside.
- While the grits are cooking, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or add a pat of butter to the pan.
- Crack the eggs into the pan (depending on the size of your pan, you may need to cook the eggs in batches) and cook over medium low heat until the thick whites surrounding the yolk begin to turn opaque. Carefully flip the egg over and continue cooking until the yolk has cooked to your satisfaction.
- Pour the grits into two shallow bowls. Top each bowl with two eggs and more salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.